FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile      Log in to check your messages   Log in 

That annoying Ke$ha

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragazza

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: That annoying Ke$ha Reply with quote

If I hear that Tick Tock song one more time, I'm gonna hit something! Turn down that racket!
charlottewallis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes me want to smash my head through a window. WHY use that stupid voice?
moe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we talk about that Justin Bieber song?
ragazza

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that he appeals to SOMEONE (ie. the preteen demographic. he's a cute kid, it's very understandable) but her. Ohhh the only thing worse than someone thinking it's totally awesome to be drunk and in the spotlight all the time is someone trying to look drunk all the time.
nanner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess i am lucky that i have never heard her, heard of her or run across her. where is it that she is so in-your-face?

is she big in the US?
charlottewallis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's all over the place here - taxis, shops. I'd rather put my hand in a blender than hear that ridiculous pronunciation of 'CD' again.

ragazza wrote:
the only thing worse than someone thinking it's totally awesome to be drunk and in the spotlight all the time is someone trying to look drunk all the time.

Yes. I know it's just tin foil pop, just someone acting an MTV part, but that doesn't mean it's not incredibly irritating.
chalgar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a shitty version of uffie,and uffie was pretty shit to start with
She's In Parties

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of Uffie, who although is lost among my itunes somewhere - she is also a bit of a tool. Ke$ha is like the cheap knock off version sent to rival her about 4 years too late. Terminator 2 shit right there.
marlyyyyyyyy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems as if brushing your teeth with a bottle of Jack would defeat the purpose of even bothering to brush your teeth...
Perdita

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's funny you didn't even bother to put this in 'other music'. Mr. Green

Doesn't bother me though. I like shitty pop.
nanner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok folks NOW i get it lol My 6 year old heard this song and is into it *wahhh*

Somehow suddenly she is really into pop music and and only wants female vocalists. So, I am making her a mix of 80s & 90s pop. She likes it so hopefully she will forget about K$sha and Lady Gaga for awhile.
Perdita

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nanner wrote:
So, I am making her a mix of 80s & 90s pop.

You are such a cool parent!
Incubation Station

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another shitty, contrived pop star?

WHYYY WORLD, WHYYYY?!
eroholic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't hate it, but I also LOVE trashy things. I've seen every episode of Jersey Shore, so my opinion can't really be trusted.
eroholic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nanner wrote:
ok folks NOW i get it lol My 6 year old heard this song and is into it *wahhh*

Somehow suddenly she is really into pop music and and only wants female vocalists. So, I am making her a mix of 80s & 90s pop. She likes it so hopefully she will forget about K$sha and Lady Gaga for awhile.

Actually, I'm a huge Lady Gaga fan, not for her music but her personality. That woman actually has some good things to say and really honestly cares about her fans, and you can't say that about most large acts.

Ke$ha, yeah, probably should keep a six year old away from considering she talks about screwing random guys on her album.. for the majority of it. Not that there is anything wrong with that lifestyle, unless your 6.
deelee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think kesha got most of her stuffs from here www.rhymer.com

thats nice.

i didnt want to like lady gaga. But now i do.. That crazy bitch gots talent.
She's In Parties

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think she shits glitter.
stellykazz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

post deleted

Last edited by stellykazz on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
eastinfection

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stellykazz wrote:
i really really really really really DONT like the gaga.
the thunderbolt face tattoo thing, is ripped off of david bowie. RAGE.
i've heard a lot of her other songs feature a bunch of "features" from other artists, like she's quoted parts of madonna's "vogue".
i dont think thats so cool. i think its a way of getting famous by using someone else's fame.
ya shes for the gay community, ya she has crazy outfits, blah blah blah. whatever.
it seems to me like this is just pop's answer to marilyn manson or the like. they notice how out of hand the generation's gotten (whichever one that may be), so this is their answer.
if this is what they have to show how "edgy" and "artistic"....
i don't want it.

Do you EVER form a coherent statement? Sampling/referencing/quoting/covering other artists is done by LOTS of bands, including Gogol Bordello. "Of course we immigrants wanna sing all night long..." Can be found in Immigrant Punk, alternately " can you cough it up, loud and strong? the immigrants wanna sing all night long..." Can be found in Straight To Hell. Really it's a way to get famous by using someone else's fame? It couldn't POSSIBLY have anything to do with referencing a song or band that was a musical influence? Like Madonna is for Lady Gaga.

I mean JESUS, I'm not even a fan of Lady Gaga but this is just a combination of ridiculous sentence (I guess thats what we will call it) after ridiculous sentence.

ESPECIALLY "ya shes for the gay community ... blah blah blah." It isn't exactly blah blah blah when one of the most commercially and internationally successful artists of the day is taking a stand for the LGBTQ community. She could just as easily roll around in the heaps of money she is making and NOT be a voice for equality.
Perdita

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, stellykazz, Madonna's Vogue was already a rip-off from the gay vogueing scene in the first place. And in general I think all pop stars borrow stuff from each other, none is truly original.
stellykazz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post deleted

Last edited by stellykazz on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Perdita

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stellykazz wrote:
its one thing to reference an artist, but to do it time after time after time after time after time....

Like Madonna?

I kind of get what you're driving at but I think she's interesting in other ways. Firstly, she's a massively talented singer songwriter in her own right, so the hyper-derivative sound is a conscious choice (and sure, if you don't like it, that's fine innit).

Quote:
where do you draw the line between referencing so much its not that original, or even your own stuff, anymore?

That is a question that has occupied many a postmodern scholar for some time Smile. Where's onerodeahorse? He's into all that stuff. He'll have an Explanation.
onerodeahorse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perdita wrote:

Quote:
where do you draw the line between referencing so much its not that original, or even your own stuff, anymore?

That is a question that has occupied many a postmodern scholar for some time Smile. Where's onerodeahorse? He's into all that stuff. He'll have an Explanation.
You just call out my name, and you know wherever I am, I'll come running...

Oh shit I referenced a past text.

Anyway... as to referencing so heavily that something ceases to be original, I suppose you could always ask Shakespeare, who only wrote a handful of storylines in his entire career and ripped off a bunch of Greek and Roman stories for the rest. Or maybe T. S. Eliot, whose "The Wasteland" is effectively an extremely-well-cobbled-together homage to various poems and works of literature (and whose "Tradition & The Original Talent" is well worth a read). Or ask the Pet Shop Boys, who Lady Gaga actually does owe a lot more to than to Madonna, but who themselves were basically only putting Pop Art into music, which itself was heavily referential of popular society, art and culture...

I suppose the point I'm making is that "originality" and "authenticity" are actually pretty-near redundant terms when you look at it - and in fact, that statement itself has been almost axiomatically true for so long that it's become a cliche in its own right. I'M LOST IN A SPIRAL OF LOGIC. What matters is not "is this authentic?" but "is this interesting, is this good?" And la la la, skip to the end, turns out that's a fairly heavily subjective judgment. Hello, art. *

Did Gaga rip off Madonna? Well, maybe, but "Bad Romance" kicks the everloving shit out of "Material Girl" and no amount of chronological flowcharts will change that, just as "Hamlet" is a better read and a better piece of literature than "Hamnet", the story upon which Shakespeare based his play.

*fancypants answer: the postmodern is fundamentally distinguished from the "modern" in how it conceives of the notion of a "text" (and by text we mean anything which can be "read", eg, a book, a song, a film, a sports event, a concert, etc etc) and by redefining the way in which we relate to texts. While the moderns might sit down in front of a TV to watch a football match and opine that what they were seeing was essentially an inauthentic copy of the actual, hermetic and true text (being at the event), the postmodernist will point out that watching the match on TV is a different text to the text which consists of being at the event, but is not any "worse" for it; because being at the event is just another text. cf. Guy Debord, who wrote about all this shit back in the 60s and then waited 20 years for most other people to catch up and busied himself making board games instead.
alison

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did Gaga rip off Madonna? Well, maybe, but "Bad Romance" kicks the everloving shit out of "Material Girl" and no amount of chronological flowcharts will change that

WERD.
She's In Parties

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think its a crime to reference. Fashion constantly refers to the past for inspiration or a 're-boot', likewise with films - both visually and regarding storylines, characters, genres etc. Everything has a revival, and many things that happen are in some way referencing or creating a homage to the past e.g architecture, literature, art etc. I admit I am a bit of a Gaga convert but I just think she's adapted and renewed things like performance art in homage to artists that have inspired her. Gogol do exactly the same. They play romani and eastern european folk inspired music, Eugene dresses like Joe Strummer and they are constantly plucking referring lyrics and melodies to other musicians.

If you were slagging her off for sampling tracks, stealing lyrics or covering songs I'd see a point in labelling her unoriginal but I think the point you're making isn't very justifiable.
Pasha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@stelly
yeah I agree with she's in parties.
plus, idk about your country, but in the US, und California. It's like musical originality either A) defying the laws of physics and (supposedly) creating something awesome that's never been done and has the biggest cock because of it or B) is referencing/sampling something that supposedly stands in stark contrast to the musical genre it's been adapted to.
dualism vs. integration/"cross pollination" . Again, could be a mark of an individualistic vs. collectivistic paradigm too.
stellykazz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my god....
i just got off of work and read all this....... all i see is WORDS
><
i vaguely understand what you guys are saying, and understand that i'm in the wrong on this, but it still pisses me off. especially especially ESPECIALLY the david bowie lightning bolt thing. i mean. she didnt even change it, or anything. she didnt make it her own. just.......augh.
i dunno, copying or whatever has always been this huge thing to me.
everyone does it, and everything has been done, but....
just
urrrgh.
it doesnt lessen the urge to set her on fire.
if that makes me an illogical being, so be it. i'm not surprised. i don't make much sense very often.
Jenbe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@stellykazz, you do realize she's not acting like it's her own? She totally owns up to her influnces and inspiration. When I first listened to her, I totally heard other artists in her work, and I was a little bothered. So I looked into it, to see what she was all about. And she's honest about it, and that it's because she respects those artists. To me, that makes a huge difference.
Pasha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol at the urge to set billa dillo (lady gaga) on fire. Maybe Stellykaz is also right, I mean not all artist can pull off sampling and referencing as gracefully as gogol.
Perdita

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stellykazz wrote:
oh my god....
i just got off of work and read all this....... all i see is WORDS

Wow.... thanks. Razz

Quote:
and understand that i'm in the wrong on this, but it still pisses me off. especially especially ESPECIALLY the david bowie lightning bolt thing.

*therapist voice* I think what is bothering you here is seeing someone tamper with stuff you especially love, which is fine if that person's a nobody but not if they're currently becoming bigger than the original person is at this moment. It looks like they're taking the credit, which I don't think they are.

Quote:
i mean. she didnt even change it, or anything. she didnt make it her own. just.......augh.

What does it mean to make it your own? And anyway, when you start arguing the toss over the merits of different kind of Bowie lightning bolts, I think we have to admit she's won.

To be honest - in the realm of those artists who reference, copy, etc etc - as we know it's not a new tactic - she's still doing something different and better. I mean, shit pop stars copy and emulate stuff all the time, and it's fucking boring. You know, when some boy band decides to make a pop video in black and white Rat Pack style or something. Wankers. They call it paying homage and hoping that in slavishly worshipping at that altar some of the shine will rub off on their boring, talentless music careers.

But Gaga's not paying homage, she's totally fearless. She grabs something she likes, and then runs around beating us about the head with it. She's the Prometheus of pop.
Little Spy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hear hear...Love the Gaga.

She's stylish, knowing and generally awesome with it.
eroholic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenbe wrote:
@stellykazz, you do realize she's not acting like it's her own? She totally owns up to her influnces and inspiration. When I first listened to her, I totally heard other artists in her work, and I was a little bothered. So I looked into it, to see what she was all about. And she's honest about it, and that it's because she respects those artists. To me, that makes a huge difference.

This is completely true. She will admit straight up she takes tons of influences from Michael Jackson, David Bowie and Madonna to name a few. On top of that she's ridiculously down to earth and never forgets her roots. She's wonderful to her fans and unashamed to be who she is.

I'm probably the only Gaga stan on the forum. hay hay.
Little Spy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the kids at the school I work at met her after a gig and said she was truly lovely, spending loads of time talking to everyone and having pictures with them and what not.
ratfink0521

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eroholic wrote:
I'm probably the only Gaga stan on the forum. hay hay.

You're not. I think she's frigging marvelous.
Perdita

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love her too.
Little Spy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Alejandro video is a thing of beauty.
alison

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meat dress!
gypsyfunk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't stand that weird thing kesha does with her voice. it makes my ears hurt.

and i agree, Ms.Gaga is fabulous
eroholic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the Gaga love <3 I'm so happy to see at least some of the forum loves her Very Happy (I hate my busy life, I miss this forum so much.)

Her and Gogol are my main inspirations.
Melantha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Spy wrote:
The Alejandro video is a thing of beauty.

YES INDEED. Smile

Kesha's voice effects are really annoying. Very, very overused autotune.
Zinamarina

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's because I'm not very musically sophisticated, but I just DO NOT GET the fuss about Lady GaGa. She's like a strange mishmash of Madonna, Gwen Stefani and Britney Spears, none of whom are my thing at all, because they represent a very cliched and one-dimensional version of female sexuality none-too-convincingly. In my opinion. If you listen to GaGa's actual SONGS, they're classic catchy brain-dead pop. They're not shit; they're just not so very special. Are they?? Am I missing something?

She seems to be a great showman. And very devoted to her fans. But so is Frank Turner, and I still think he sucks musically.

And the meat dress was flipping lame. But then I don't like Damien Hirst either, so as I say, it could be a lack of high-mindedness which prevents an appreciation of this kind of spectacle/shock art.
alison

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really get further than just gesturing at a picture and screeching MEAT DRESS last night; was there a statement she was making with it? I will also add the BEEF BIKINI to that, which sounds like some terrible sexual euphemism but isn't in this case.

I like the lady's music. I do. I think it's hooky in all the right ways. Maybe it's because I never bonded with Madonna's music - this is the Madonna I've been missing all my life! I don't listen to Gaga often, but when I do, I enjoy it.

It's a shame she's a bit of an idiot. I interviewed her around the time Just Dance was about to chart, and she had all the charisma of a tatty ballet pump. Didn't help that her manager kept cutting in and telling me EXACTLY HOW MANY MINUTES I HAD LEFT WITH THE TALENT OMG, but she didn't come across as being as interesting as her music is.

Last edited by alison on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Zinamarina

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, 'beef bikini'...

A the awards, she said 'I never thought I'd be asking Cher to hold my meat purse'.

Bwwwwwwwaaarharhar. Smile
onerodeahorse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The meat dress was amazing. ilu gaga.

also: the #meatdress hashtag on twitter makes for hilarious reading. OUTRAGE! SHOCK! DISBELIEF! GIGGLING!
eroholic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love her for her motto and do call myself a baby monster. She's absolutely 100% non-judgmental. Her concerts cater to the freaks, those who stood out or never understood. Her goal is to make everyone feel accepted and love themselves for who they are. She treats her fans like royalty. At her concert she sits there, and screams "I WANT YOU TO BE FREE, FUCK THE STEREOTYPES? TOO FAT? FUCK THAT! TOO WEIRD? FUCK THAT! TOO GAY? FUCK THAT. YOU ARE WHO YOU ARE, AND THE MONSTER BALL IS A PLACE TO BE FREE." I love the fact she's so absolutely 100% not ashamed to be straight forward about her passion for gay rights and equality.

I loved Gaga as a person before I loved her music. A lot of her ideals are the same type I love about Gogol about personal love and acceptance of everyone.

Also, yes, the meat stood for (at least on the night of the vmas) "If we don't stand up for what we believe in and if we don't fight for our rights, soon we're going to have as much rights as the meat on our bones. Also, I'm not a piece of meat." She also states that that's only her personal interpretation but understands it can be taken many ways.
JahVince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:
Didn't help that her manager kept cutting in and telling me EXACTLY HOW MANY MINUTES I HAD LEFT WITH THE TALENT OMG.

exactly this happened when interviewing Toots Hibbert in Darmstadt, guy kept holding up fingers to show how many minutes.

eurgh!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    avenue-b Forum Index -> blah blah blah All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: