FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile      Log in to check your messages   Log in 

Interview with Eugene and Santeri Ahlgren

Post new topic   Reply to topic    avenue-b Forum Index -> creative people must be stopped
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cocteau

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Interview with Eugene and Santeri Ahlgren Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I'm writing a dissertation entitled "How are the Roma reflected in Contemporary Music?" and for part of my research, spoke to Eugene and Santeri Ahlgren, a Roma musician from Finland. None of the content is especially new news to anyone but it's a fun interview looking at the roots of the gypsy punk genre. Thought you all might like to hear it anyway Smile

Enjoy!

http://soundcloud.com/nadiakuftinoff/eugenehutz_santeriahlgren
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if you know already, but there was an influence of roma music in the Uk particulary on the festival scene back in the late 80' s early 90's bands such as The Bagdaddies, Tofu Love Frogs and Tragikroundabout. This is where I ws first exposed to this kinda sound, I think at least 2 of the 3 are still going and the singer from the tofu's runs a label called Global Local which puts out really good comps of UK bands from mixed up heritidges, and they are free.They have a face book site.

He booked Gogol for their first UK gig at the ICA and he put on Circo Abusivo on his stage at the Thames festi.He'd be a good person to talk to about your essay subject, his name is Chris Tofu and he is also on Facebook, he is very passionate about this genre of music.
zig-zague

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else think it's brilliant that you can effectively do your dissertation on the roots of Gypsy Punk?

Makes mine on political lobbying during the committee stages of a bill promoting local government reorganisation seem just so incredibly dull.
cocteau

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee, thanks so much for your help, I'll look into it. Think I had Tofu's name swimming around at the back of my mind somewhere and that's given me another direction I can take Smile If only this damn paper could be longer than ten thousand words Wink

I agree with you Zig-zague that's it's terrific that Gogol Bordello can be transferred so easily to an academic paper. Your dissertation title sounds incredibly clever though, I'd never be able to write anything like that!
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome I wish I shared your enthusiasm for words I've just dyslexically stuggled with 1000!...check out the Global Local stuff on face book if you send them your address the post out a CD to you. Well worth it.
good luck with the essay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    avenue-b Forum Index -> creative people must be stopped All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: