FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile      Log in to check your messages   Log in 

Tutorial to play the guitar like Eugene Hutz

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    avenue-b Forum Index -> creative people must be stopped
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nico-el-gitano

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Tutorial to play the guitar like Eugene Hutz Reply with quote

Hey guys, I made this video today to teach everyone how to play the guitar like Eugene Hutz! tell me what you think about it! (url removed because of an idiot insulting it because he didn't like it)

Last edited by Nico-el-gitano on Mon May 12, 2014 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
immigraniadapunk

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: are you serious? Reply with quote

don't mean to be negative..but that was horrible....there is no "how-to" to learn how to play like Eugene. Eugene learned through hardships failures experiences and hours and hours of practice. I base my guitar strumming patterns off of Eugenes and I say I'm pretty practiced, but never good enough to put my name behind a " how to play like Eugene Hutz" video. No one can play like Eugene...NO ONE..well maybe Sasha.....Keep practicin man, cuz you're nowhere near Saint Eugene Hutz(lol), maybe someday...but not now...not even close to Eugene's strumming hand work or finger work on the fret...learning the songs through tabs doesn't make you Eugene.
Nico-el-gitano

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, where to start... first, I do not, in any way, say I am as good as Eugene. Secondly, I play flamenco rumba, and based this strumming pattern off it after a few months of trial and error. Thirdly, This is only my interpretation of his work, and you are free to like it or not. One doesn't have to be perfect to post videos on youtube. For example, to some, Eugene's voice is HORRIBLE, but to us, the fans, we love it. And sorry, but seeing 11 thumbs up for 1 thumb down (you, I assume), I think generally, people like it. This tutorial was only meant to share MY interpretation, not the "truth", and how I play it, since some people find Gogol Bordello's songs hard to strum. THIS is what art, and especially gypsy music is about; sharing YOUR way. Have you ever been to a flamenco jam? I play at one monthly, and there, the traditional way doesn't work, you have to put your own touch to things, not imitating or being exactly as the original artist, just doing it your way. And constant progress is the way to go, perfection is never attainable, so why limit yourself to imitate someone, even as good as Eugene?
immigraniadapunk

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok....but there is a limit to what interpretation is before it's just nothing close to what it's really suppose to be. You can't interpret something you can't interpret yourself truthfully. And to your 11 ups and one 1 down (no I didn't vote on your video, it wasn't even worth that..sorry) just proves how much people love Gogol Bordello, not your "rendition". To play a genre man, you have to actually know how to play in that genre to try to speak on its behalf. If you're trying to throw the "my interpretation" card than name that your video "MY INTERPRETATION OF HOW EUGENE HUTZ PLAYS" not "PLAY LIKE EUGENE HUTZ" You talk big on art and defending the circulation of ideas, but you have to just get better at playing guitar first, before talking like some revolutionary. I'm not saying you suck, I'm just saying that that shit you're playing, ain't gypsy, ain't punk, ain't gypsy punk, not even flamenco ( I play and dance flamenco at least once a week since I was 15 I'm 27 now) and it is most definitely not Eugene Hutz style of playing. You can't speak on behalf of "gypsy" music if you can barely play it yourself, using the word "gypsy" like you're straight from Kiev or something, do you even know what's going on in that part of the country? didn't think so. The last sentence was so pretentious I don't even want to justify it with a sensible answer, I don't even know what you're talking about in that. You're contradicting yourself......So you made a post about how you "play like Eugene Hutz", and now someone is telling you you don't and now you say not to limit yourself to just being Eugene Hutz, as if playing like him., really playing like Eugene, is a "limit". Just....practice man, that's all I'm saying......bottom line. Gogol Bordello music is about love and the acceptance of all our cultures, but before all that nice and lovely stuff..you have to know how to make your battle axe sing war songs...how can you do that if you've never slashed it properly? Am I taking crazy pills here? does anyone else agree with me? I mean this guy isn't horrible but who has the gaul to say they play like Eugene Hutz? and then get all butthurt when someone puts him in his place? Credit where credit due.
WE COMIN ROUGHA EVERYTIIIIIIIIIIYYYYYMEE!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Nico-el-gitano

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen brother, I personally don't like my video either. Every time I watch it, I cringe. My intention with this video was to share a base for people who wanted to start playing GB's music, not to show how "good" I am. I just think the way you said it was harsh. It was more negative than constructive.

I completely agree with you that I need practice. This video was 3 months ago, I now have a classical guitar and had time to practice. In no way am I saying I am perfect hahaha
And no, I never said I was playing a flamenco strumming pattern in the video, I said I worked from one and by modifying it, ended up with this, which by the way, is also used in another cover https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdsbPMqaCcU

Also, the steel strings restricted my finger movements, and does not sounds very good. I also agree with the passion thing, which is something I am working on. For whatever reason, I put way more passion in dancing than music. My music, especially when I am alone, sounds platonic. Music has never been my talent, but I try to work on it as much as I can. I practice guitar about two hours a day to get better, and really make efforts. My main talents are writing and drawing/painting, followed by dance.

And by the way, gypsy music is very broad. Watch the movie Latcho Drom. In an interview, Eugene Hutz said he does not play authentic gypsy music. Compare Gogol, Gypsy Kings, Estrella Morente, Django Reinhardt (I love playing gypsy jazz). All different types, but still, all gypsy.

As soon as my flu goes away, I will record a cover of a Gogol Bordello song with my new guitar and 3 months later, and will compare it. I can assure you I got better. Again, I completely agree with you, I don't like my video either.

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it.
immigraniadapunk

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: really? Reply with quote

.....yeah.. sure.....

You really are on a high horse, do you have to drench your response in narcissism? Now I feel like you're trying to prove something by mentioning all the stuff you do better than guitar..want to see me dance? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPrBaSB0LRQ . I'm a competitive breakdancer and I use to major in animation until I switched to film, soo I think I know a thing or two about this "artistic passion" you speak of. I use to dance in the street to my friends playing on buckets with drumsticks for tips just to buy something to eat. Passion fuels everything I do, It's not just an "art thing" bro. Oh, and now you're keen on movies all of a sudden? Trying to suggest things I maybe haven't seen? I have already seen the films and heard of all those people you tried to mentioned to try and sound credible. I honestly think Sean Penn did a better job at being Django Reinhardt than Django Reinhardt did, other than the whole guitar playing thing. Sorry brother, I just call it like I see it. The way you respond to me just bugs me, you sound like a know-it-all or at least a wannabe know-it-all. Again, sorry, I'm just another scumfuck piece of shit punk with a solid opinion right? just like an arsehole right? hahaha Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad

I'm not trying to get the last word or anything, but I'm down with this thread, I am not responding after this, I hope the administrator deletes it because of how unGogol Bordello it is Cool
gypsypunk92

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immigraniadapunk, you need to just relax. And secondly live and let live. What you are doing is the most un-punk thing I can possibly think of. Gogol Bordello's music and punk music is about acceptance and finding the things that unify us rather than criticizing. Taking the time to criticize someone else's work is a negative waste of energy. Use the PURA VIDA man! Positive vibes. Find the things that unify us, like the fact that we all enjoy the kick ass Gogol Bordello. I don't think his video is pretentious or narcissistic. He simply wanted to post a video. He's not being disrespectful to Hutz whatsoever. Now I do agree that this video really didn't nail Eugene's style or the Gogol vibe the way they play it, but hey, he tried. I'd rather see someone try to learn good music and try to share it with others than someone not try at all. Give the kid a break. It's not like he's trying to profit or take credit away from Eugene. Taking this much time to try to tear somebody down is just such a pretentious waste of time and not what punk or Gogol is about.

To the original creator of the video, keep practicing, and keep it rolling, you'll only get better! I try to play the guitar like Eugene and its taken me years to master and I still am a ways off from the level of a Eugene. It ain't easy!
Nico-el-gitano

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you gypsypunk92! Yes, playing Gogol Bordello's music is not easy, and I am a long way from there! But hey, I'm just 18 and started playing Gogol Bordello's music in september 2013, it was a bit early for me to post a tutorial in february!
Zinamarina

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, immigraniadapunk, your first three posts on the forum and you're just spraying snark and bitchiness everywhere. Get a flipping grip on yourself and stop showing off your bad attitude. I didn't see Nico-el-gitano's video, as he's removed it - so it might have been fantastic or it might have been shite for all I know. I don't much care; what matters as far as this community goes is that at least he came up on here, sharing with us and trying to be nice. You, my friend, have just pissed all over your own shoes.
alison

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since we had some drama on here. It feels like home again, what with people arguing who's the most punk and people thinking being a shithead = punk.

Nico, keep posting your videos. Would be cool to follow your progress! Everything worthwhile takes practice.
Nico-el-gitano

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support guys! Ill be making a new video when my flu goes away!
FamiliaUndestructable

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ327zXS4eg

This is the link to the video. I request that everyone watch it, and I ask that it not be taken down. Everyone has a right to form their own opinions... Currently, the only opinions are being based off commentary without access to the video on which the aforementioned commentary is based.

I happen to agree with imigraniadapunk, and whether or not you may like how it was said, it has merit.

Also. To anyone who is going on about acceptance.. Fine, but you do not get to choose what that applies to... If you must be accepting than that means accept everyone.

Anyway. I am just going to leave this link here, and I will come back later.
alison

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating moderator fact: we can see who posts from your IP address.

I'll give y'all three guesses as to who has the same IP address as this newbie who has joined to support immigraniadapunk...

*raises suspicious eyebrow*
FamiliaUndestructable

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:
Fascinating moderator fact: we can see who posts from your IP address.

I'll give y'all three guesses as to who has the same IP address as this newbie who has joined to support immigraniadapunk...

*raises suspicious eyebrow*

I understand your suspicions. When I made this account, it was with the full understanding that my IP was visible to certain individuals.

I'm imigrandiadapunk's girlfriend, we live together. I neither tried to conceal nor disclose that fact, as I didn't find it to be relevant. I am capable of stepping back from personal feelings and looking at something objectively, and I wanted to give others the chance to do the same thing. That's why I posted the link to the video that was no longer available for others to watch with the request that it remain posted for any future discussions that might sprout here...

I'm sure you can understand why I made my account now... I hope you can appreciate my trying to give everyone a fair chance at an informed opinion. I subtly provided my own, and I have my own reasons for having it - which I would be happy to later outline. In light of the circumstances, I thought it best to go slow... Now that I've cleared up certain concerns (I hope), it will be easier to interact with everyone.
Nico-el-gitano

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how you put so much energy in putting me down, you lack soo much self-esteem.
alison

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nico has requested that the thread be locked, so I am doing so. Let's all move on and be friendly in other discussions, yes? Smile
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    avenue-b Forum Index -> creative people must be stopped All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: