FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile      Log in to check your messages   Log in 

Introduce yourself...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melantha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an interesting story, Ubee - yes, they do have the ability to elbow people in the ribs or give them a motivating kick in the ass with their music for sure Mr. Green Welcome to the forum!
alison

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Ubee!
Ubee0173

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys Very Happy
Viper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hey...

uhm, I hate to be the noob but here it goes: So I'm Anna, 23, german. I study Graphic Design, entering my third (of probably 5) year now, I'm going on exchange to Camberwell College of Arts in London in September (yay! Very Happy)

I saw Gogol live for the first time at Ruisrock, Finland 2009. Someone I met on the festival was like "Hey you need to check this band out, they're different." The second they entered the stage I was like "Why does nobody tell me here plays a band with a Violin and a folk twist!" and was dancing! It was the dirtiest I've ever been, it hadn't rained for weeks, and it was VERY dusty. I literally pulled out chunks of slum out of my ears and my nostrils afterwards. This sounds kinda harmless but it was vile Very Happy Needless to say I was hooked.

I've listened to folky influenced bands since I was 8 and it was always special to me. I'm a huge music lover in general tho and not too picky about genres, altho I'm kinda stuck in this 80s revival glam metal scene (Odd, I know) and I love it, but it gets a little one dimensional at the time.

I thought I should join this board to talk about other music I love too for once and so on... hello Smile

P.S: sorry if my english gets extremely crappy writing wise at times, I'm dyslexic and it's hard for me sometimes. For the grammar stuff I have to bring the "Not native, I dare you to do better" excuse Wink
EriNorelax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never introduced my self in this forum, I'm kinda new.

I'm Erika, from Buenos Aires (Argentina), I'm finish High school currently and looking forward to study music, guitar in particular. It's not that music is my only and true love, I just like it but I like more things too (I write, I draw...), I'm kind of an artistic person, so I guess what I'll do for a living will change according to what I feel like doing at the time., but music is definitely the thing I'm more dedicated.

This is the random and lucky story of how I met GB just in 2011:I was watching TV and got so bored of changing channels that I left a random one and started chatting with friends. Suddenly something on TV called my attention, it was a band with one of the weirdest sounds I've ever heard. It had something, I just needed to hear them, so I waited for the program to write the name (and thankfully they did, the show was just ending), to take note and look them up later. That's how I found Start Wearing Purple on YouTube the next day, and 2 hours later had downloaded all GB's albums.
It was love in the first sight, finding them was pure look!

Comment aside: Ubee, that story is beautiful, music actually has the power to change things Smile. I'm feeling kind of what you described when I hear the new album, it's like the songs are telling me "everything will be alright, you have to get up!". It's one of the greatest bands ever.
Melantha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, Anna and Erika! Smile
alison

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moved posts:

Polina wrote:
Hi all!

To my great shame, I just discovered Gogol Bordello last month. I literally saw the name on the Ticketmaster site before tickets went on sale, and thought, Hey, I love Gogol, and I'm a big fan of bordellos! So I went to Youtube to check them out, and my life was forever changed. I haven't been this excited about discovering a new band (well, new to me) since Sleater-Kinney!

I can't believe I never heard of them before, especially since my background is similar to Eugene's: I'm from Ukraine, but not Ukrainian (Odessa, baby!); left in my late teens; lived in New York for a very long time, and still consider myself a New Yorker, even though I've been living in Toronto for the last 10 years. I also gravitated away from the Russian community and into the arms of rock-loving natives very early on. I feel like Eugene and I are from the same tribe, in a sense that we come from the diaspora, and in a sense that we are independent from it. Which is not an easy thing to do: the pressure to stay with "your people" can be stifling, both from within the diaspora and from without it. It takes a lot of guts to say, "My background doesn't define my culture: it is a tool, and it's up to me how and when to use it." I work as a literary translator, which gives me another level of appreciation of the way Eugene crafts his lyrics. Holy crap, the man is good.

I love multicultural art (though definitely not multicultural politics, that bane of gays, women, and atheists - and I'm all three). A closed culture that doesn't intermarry with influences from other cultures gets inbred just as surely as a closed family. I live with a Pakistani partner, so we have our own little multicultural family going. The look of confused agony on the faces of my relatives when they try my traditional stuffed peppers only to realize they have half a pound of Indian spices in them, is just priceless. Although I did tell my partner the other day that putting spicy sauce on gefilte fish constitutes an act of antisemitism.

Next week I'm going to see Gogol Bordello live for the first time, and my heart is pounding like it hasn't pounded since before my first Pearl Jam concert in 1994! It's nice to know I'm not too old for this yet. I've only been to Toronto's Danforth Music Hall once before, and it seems to have awful acoustics and a massive temperature control problem, but I don't care: a week after getting two tickets to the first show, I went back on the Ticketmaster site and got myself one ticket for the second show! (Partner put her foot down on that one: there is only so much crippling heat she can handle, which is ironic, considering where she is from.) If anyone is going to either of these shows, hit me up - it will be awesome to meet other fans, and you can chastise me for being so late to the party. Smile

Big hugs to all,
Pol~

Polina wrote:
Oh yeah, and I was also raised by cats: a fact of great cultural importance, as any cat person will tell you. What is it with Russians and their cats? I think we love them because they remind us of our despotic rulers. But, you know, a much cuddlier version.

Welcome! Very Happy I'm going to the Toronto shows, so if you wanna meet for a pre-show drink I will initiate you into the Avenue B fold in person.

Aaaaaand now I sound like a crazy person. Yay!
feliciav

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

& I wish I lived in Toronto just to meet you! Stupid to say: enjoy the show, as it is like saying: enjoy breathing
Polina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Felicia! I've seen a lot of amazing shows in my life, but from what I gather from fan reports and live recordings on Youtube, they all might be eclipsed on Monday. Smile
feliciav

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure of it. I have lived thru decades of incredible music & perfomers and it has been a long time since I've experienced such passion. I just discovered GB last year! & as long as I can hobble, I will get to their shows.
SereneJulie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, all-

I am Julie, and like Polina, I've only recently heard of, met (figuratively)!, and fallen in love with GB. I can't believe that the perfect mix of guitar, violin, accordion & general madness has been around for a while, and that I hadn't crossed paths with them SOMEWHERE...or that nobody pointed them out to me!

After some five or six years of financial difficulties & working all the time to keep our home, I'm not as hip to the 'funner' things in life as I used to be...
but I'm trying to get back there, and Eugene & the band are helping a LOT!

60 Revolutions per minute is also my usual speed, and it is amazing how Serene I can be; when I can listen to a band that can keep up with me, speed up with me, or slow down with me.

The messages and stories in the songs are all real & relevant to so many different groups of people, and are what EVERYONE needs to hear right now. And I can't even describe what the music does to me... it is home.

Glad to have found this forum, I've not combed all the threads yet, but appreciate the translations and discussions I have seen so far. I hope to see & meet some of y'all when GB gets to Texas again, or even close...

I continue to try to be-

SereneJulie
Melantha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Julie, welcome to Avenue B! Smile
wallis1980

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I'm a new/old user of Ave B. I used to be on here as Charlottewallis (I think) a long time ago, lost, renewed and forgot again my password several times, until I got exasperated at my own disorganisation, was busy traveling and gave up for a couple of years. Nice to be back!
alison

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha! Hi Charlotte, welcome back. Very Happy
wallis1980

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It's also a bit easier for me to get to shows again now, so hopefully see you at some point! Smile
Tommy2Shirts

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a complete idiot.

Thanks for having me.

Wink
Javier Stokes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie here!

Spanish, living in Bilbao, math teacher, adventurer, accordionist, smart, tall, handsome and upset because GB didn't include Spain in his tour (I really hope the will bring them to the Iboga Summer Festival 2015).

Regards!
alison

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey newbies! Very Happy
romi.zhenya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubee0173 wrote:
and my husband is Eugene's bizzarro twin/body double, but with no mustache.

I know a few people who look like Eugene (I dreamed of one of them last night), but they didn't want to be my husband LOL.
Seriously speaking, what a nice story of yours Smile

I'm not good with introductions (and I'm embarrased about how much time I ignored GB and how much of a recent fan I am), but well, I'll try. I'm from Argentina (they visited 3 times...I missed the 3 opportunities. Now I'm longing for a 4th, dammit), I live in a city that is quite close to Buenos Aires. In fact, today we're celebrating the city's 132th anniversary. My main job is being a student and I have about 2 years left at university (on the science branch, but I don't understand Eugene's views on quantum physics...in fact, does anybody? haha). I'm not a musician (my brother is), but I love to sing, I like music and I have an eclectic taste; I learned to play the guitar as a kid with the same method Eugene uses (so to speak), I didn't practice later so the few talent I had I think I lost it.
I'm not tall but I wish I would be. I'm quite energetic and a clown sometimes, but I don't even touch a drop (maybe I have a sort of internal booze, or I get high on my own endorphines, who knows).
I speak Spanish, English, I understand most of Italian language (I'm shy to speak it) and I'm trying to teach myself Russian but I didn't count with it being more difficult than what I though. So it will be crippled turtle-speed learning after all Mr. Green
We don't use fractions here to talk about heritage, but if we did, I'd say I'm 1/2 Italian, 1/4 Swiss-Italian and 1/4 Spanish. In fact, I was named after an Italian singer (Romina Power)...to my surprise, Eugene seems to know her and the duet she was part of.
What else...I have two cats, I love them (and I WON'T say "like Eugene", because I already mentioned him A LOT in previous paragraphs...I'm fearing my OCD comes back again)
And there's not much about me...well, there is but I'll leave it here, otherwise Alison won't believe me I'm mentally sane and I don't bite Wink
Arrivederci! Very Happy

PS: Very random fact, I had an italian uncle named Sandro. His moustache was SO impressive that I was afraid of it as a kid. Now when I listen to Harem in Tuscany I sort of miss him.
alison

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to meet you, Romi! Welcome to the forum. Smile
Satirical Serj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject: ... a little late Reply with quote

So hi, my name's Serj and I'm from Phoenix Arizona (aka the planes of Hell). I've been a fanatic of GB for around fours years now. I actually was first exposed to them when I attended my very first concert! They had opened for System of a Down in 2011 and the second I heard the intro to Start Wearing Purple I fell in love, true love. A little bit more about myself:
I am a HUGE metalhead. I study Electrical Engineering at ITT Technical Institute for my Associates and I plan to go back to school for Music Theory and many things after that... I love learning Mr. Green. I also have played guitar for roughly five, coming up on six very soon! I love languages, all of them. I find beauty in every foreign syllable that graces my ears Rolling Eyes. I'm learning german btw so feel free to challenge my knowledge anytime Wink

I hope to get to know a fair number of people on there, I love having international friends! They're far more interesting than the locals here
alison

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved post:

ibcheel wrote:
So first saw the band 5 years ago in Utah (they were touring with Primus at the time)
I actually had met some of the members that night, but didn't realize it until February of this year, because I had only listened to their music and not even looked at any puctures. I even had a staring contest with Eugene which started because I did not believe that was his name, my name being Bonniegene, it was a moment of good natured childish fun!
I was introduced to thier music through a friend who has since past away. The first song I ever heard was Against The Nature, my friend Mackenzie had me in her car and stated; "This song makes me think of you, you have to listen to it!" and now that song reminds me of her and who I'll always strive to be. Thank you for being an amazing inspirational band!
P. S. -
I get to see these guys live again tonight with another great band! Life is grand!

WilliamtheChad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Feel like a total newb, but... Reply with quote

Hey!

I've been listing to Gogol Bordello for years now, saw them the last two times they made it to Minneapolis.

It's my first time on these boards, wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Pamela Racine saying I should try and reach out to her on here when she was chatting with my buddy after the show at First Ave on Friday the 13th this past November.

Of course life, in all it's wonder, kept me from taking a moment to actually post on here. Since I have absolutely no clue how to actually reach out to her on here, figured I'd introduce myself at least!

That concert was the best time I've had in a long while!

Cheers!

-Chad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    avenue-b Forum Index -> blah blah blah All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: