FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile      Log in to check your messages   Log in 

What scares you?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Izzee_m

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neuseelen wrote:
pied-piper of hutzovina wrote:
im afraid of people with the name hussein

i'm afraid of mailmen.

Me too. Just think of all the ways they could go postal on your ass.
pied-piper of hutzovina

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow way to attack me. funny thing is, the united states postal service actually has one of the safest work records in the country.do the research.
Izzee_m

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete, if you were being attacked it would have been much more blatant, believe me. Chill out.
alison

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was just a play on words. You know, going postal? Postie going postal? Boom boom, funny!

No? Okay. *slinks off*
neuseelen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow way to attack me.

i was just trying to be as absurdly over-generalizing and ignorant as you were being. Wink
Izzee_m

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:
I thought it was just a play on words. You know, going postal? Postie going postal? Boom boom, funny!

No? Okay. *slinks off*

Oh, honestly Alison, be serious! You might offend someone.

neuseelen wrote:
wow way to attack me.

i was just trying to be as absurdly over-generalizing and ignorant as you were being. Wink

It will be a long hard journey and I am most certain you will fail (that was a compliment by the way Wink ).

And on topic…
I don’t mind flying, but I hate landing (which, unfortunately, is an unavoidable part of flying). I always get the pilot who doesn’t know how to land and I always picture the, ‘two seconds away from their gate and all on board died in a fiery blaze,’ scenario. Shocked
neuseelen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a friend who was afraid of flying because he was worried about plane crashes. but yet he drove like a maniac. i didn't understand the logic.

1300 people die in plane crashes every year.
3000 people die in car crashes every day.
pied-piper of hutzovina

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all jokes aside, im terrified of the ocean. its very big. i think i inspired baywatch at the beach one day.
ragazza

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Izzee_m wrote:

And on topic…
I don’t mind flying, but I hate landing (which, unfortunately, is an unavoidable part of flying). I always get the pilot who doesn’t know how to land and I always picture the, ‘two seconds away from their gate and all on board died in a fiery blaze,’ scenario. Shocked

I know what you mean! When I was little, whenever we landed from a long flight the engines would go in reverse to slow the plane but it sounded like we were speeding up to take off again. I don't like the bouncyness and the sound when the tires touch the ground.
Oi!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all jokes aside, im terrified of the ocean. its very big. i think i inspired baywatch at the beach one day.

Ah yes, that's mine, although I have been coming to terms with it by snorkelling! I have a fear of drowning and the ocean being 2/3 of the world makes it awesome in the literal sense.
Jenbe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Izzee_m wrote:
I don’t mind flying, but I hate landing (which, unfortunately, is an unavoidable part of flying).

Me too! And having just returned from a plane trip, this is really fresh for me. My first plane trip when I was four we had a bad landing; people were screaming and a stewaress fell over, things were falling around the cabin. I was never on a plane again till I was 24, and the three trips I have taken since then have all involved layovers, so there is extra landings involved. I get all anxious as soon as we start descending; I sweat and start grabbing things (frequqntly my husband) with every jerk or sound. When the landing gear comes down, I almost faint. Then I'm in a state where I insist I'm not going to fly ever again. I am prerfectly sane while we are in the air, and love staring out the window at the world below, but landing turns me into a quivering baby.
I am also terrified of blind things, and of anything happening to my eyes.
I am afraid to be in a car crash, mostly from experience.
I have many fears relating to something happening to my children. And I fear that I will not be a good enough parent.
I am afraid that the religious fanatics are the same people who are gun fanatics.
lulybunny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenbe wrote:
Izzee_m wrote:
I don’t mind flying, but I hate landing (which, unfortunately, is an unavoidable part of flying).

Me too! And having just returned from a plane trip, this is really fresh for me. My first plane trip when I was four we had a bad landing; people were screaming and a stewaress fell over, things were falling around the cabin.

I'm afraid of take-offs more than anything. And unless there is crappy weather I enjoy landings. YAY, ground! And because planes coast on in, it's quite fun I think. The take off is horrible, I just sit there and hope to god the engines are ok, cause there is no do over. Landings, there are do overs. If it's too windy a plane can come around again, etc.

As for other fears:

I once had a friend make a LJ icon with a picture of a roller coaster and the words, "things luly is afraid of # 392,567"

Um, lets see, the dark - I can often run screaming to my room and slam the door behind me when shutting off lights at night. This is my mothers fault, her way of making me feel better as a child was to say nothing would come for me as long as I didn't think about it. She believes in ghosts and stuff, from her life experiences, so she just says ignore them. IGNORE THEM!?! Yeah.
I'm also afraid of heights, the drive up to Pikes Peak (http://media2.springsgov.com/pikespeak/pikespeakhighwayHI.wmv - forward to 2:00) was pure fucking torture.

And the list goes on: roller coasters, ground floor windows, motorcycles, bridges, tunnels, small boats, flying, the theme music of X-files, Unsolved Mysteries, Jason, Freddie, etc. But mostly X-files. Possums! I love cotton tail rodents, but switch it out for a rat tail and I freak.

That's all I can think of for now, I know there is more. Razz
AnnaSophia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulybunny wrote:

Um, lets see, the dark - I can often run screaming to my room and slam the door behind me when shutting off lights at night.

And the list goes on: roller coasters, ground floor windows, motorcycles, bridges, tunnels, small boats, flying, the theme music of X-files, Unsolved Mysteries, Jason, Freddie, etc. But mostly X-files. Possums! I love cotton tail rodents, but switch it out for a rat tail and I freak.

Lulybunny, I know EXACTLY what you mean about the dark and ground floor windows. At night, I often run into my room after shutting off the lights because anyone could be outside of one of our windows watching me. If I am in the living room, the blinds to all the windows MUST be closed, and the blinds in my room stay closed 24/7.

And I totally agree with the possum thing, too. Although, I don't think I'm actually afraid, I think it's just that I think that they look terrifying!

As for the airplane landing thing, I think those are scary too. But I think it's because I once got sick and almost threw up because our landing was so rough.

I don't think that I'm actually afraid of flying, but when I am in the air, I question every single noise I hear or bump I feel. I always think "Is that normal? Did we just run out of gas? Did one of the engines just fail? Did something just explode?" lol
Izzee_m

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neuseelen wrote:
1300 people die in plane crashes every year.
3000 people die in car crashes every day.

Those statistics would make me feel better if I didn’t drive… Confused

I don’t mind landing after a long flight, it’s when it’s a short flight in a tiny plane that bothers me. I live in a small town so to get in and out you have to take the tiny planes, which always seem to be piloted by really young guys who stare at you through the window as you board and make lewd hand gestures. And for some reason these pilots always wait till the last minute to slow down, so everyone flies forward in their seats and the plane starts to fishtail when it hits the tarmac.

AnnaSophia wrote:
I don't think that I'm actually afraid of flying, but when I am in the air, I question every single noise I hear or bump I feel. I always think "Is that normal? Did we just run out of gas? Did one of the engines just fail? Did something just explode?" lol

I get that way sometimes. My policy is to look at the flight attendant – if they look calm I can blow it off easily. On the last flight I took home we had some bad turbulence, I look at the flight attendant and he has his eyes closed and looks like he’s fucking praying! WRONG line of work buddy!
AnnaSophia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Izzee_m wrote:
I get that way sometimes. My policy is to look at the flight attendant – if they look calm I can blow it off easily. On the last flight I took home we had some bad turbulence, I look at the flight attendant and he has his eyes closed and looks like he’s fucking praying! WRONG line of work buddy!

I do the SAME thing!
khakiprincess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Spy wrote:
alison wrote:
I watched Ghostwatch on the BBC as a 12-year-old and didn't realise it was fake until it got silly towards the end. By that point, the damage had been done and I totally blame it for the fact I'm still terrified of the possible existence of ghosts.

I mean, seriously. It was about a transvestite child-molester who hung himself under the stairs and was eaten by his cats, and then had come back to possess the body of a teenage girl. It was presented as real - it was presented by Parky, for fuck's sake. People were so scared of it at the time they killed themselves and it was banned for like a decade. That was some scary shit for a kid to watch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostwatch

I think there's a whole generation of us who were seriously traumatised by that fucking programme! I re-watched it a couple of years ago and although bits of it are ropey now it was still pretty freaky.

I remember watching that on a sleepover with my friends for Halloween - fucking hell we were scared!!
ragazza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eep I remember watching Candyman when I was little and it scared the hell out of me! My brother used to sneak up behind me in the bathroom and say Candyman three times in the mirror and I always thought he would jump out and gut me with his hook.

I saw the original Japanese Grudge (Ju-On) when I was 11 or so and I didn't sleep for weeks
Lin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was about 9 a plane flew over our town really low at night, and I was convinced it was gonna crash on our house. This resulted in me not sleeping for more than 3 hours a night for MONTHS as I lay wide awake in bed, *convinced* that one night a plane actually would crash on our house.

I got over it though Wink
Jenbe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lin wrote:
When I was about 9 a plane flew over our town really low at night, and I was convinced it was gonna crash on our house. This resulted in me not sleeping for more than 3 hours a night for MONTHS as I lay wide awake in bed, *convinced* that one night a plane actually would crash on our house.

When I was young we lived pretty close to the int'l airport here, and we had planes go over low rather often. I had the same fear, though it left when we moved.
She's In Parties

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragazza wrote:
I have to say, especially today, nothing scares me more than this...

ew ew ewww ewww eww ewww ewwwe ewwwewewwwwwww

Nice to see Mattel are making wives these days...
DDT

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant Wood, American Gothic, 1930

alison

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky Horror, 1975. Wink

jlja846

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulybunny wrote:

I'm also afraid of heights, the drive up to Pikes Peak (http://media2.springsgov.com/pikespeak/pikespeakhighwayHI.wmv - forward to 2:00) was pure fucking torture.

It's a nice hike though. But, I know what you mean. Every time we're on one of those little mountain roads and we have to slowly inch past the other car, it drives me nuts.

Little Spy wrote:
I adore zombie films and I'm not especially scared when I'm watching them but I have terrible re-occuring nightmares about them. I have anxiety zombies.

I have the same problem. Except, I can't watch the movies at all (only Shaun of the Dead) and am partially convinced that zombies will attack one day. We should swap zombie dream stories. Very Happy
marlyyyyyyyy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

being unlovable....
Oi!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marlyyyyyyyy wrote:
being unlovable....

Quote:
They sell us love as divinity,
When it's only a social obscenity.
Underneath we're all lovable.

nanner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

running out of time
Hakadah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really afraid of dying. A lot of times I can't go to sleep because I obsessively think about how I'm going to die. Even when I'm watching movies I get freaked out.

I was watching Pineapple Express with a friend and I started to get worried at a point in the movie when there was this big fight scene and people were getting killed everywhere. Talk about an inappropriate reaction.

I'm also afraid of being alone. What if I choke on a peanut and no one's around to save me? Or if a stranger decides to come rape and murder me?

I'm actually afraid of a lot of things, now that I think about it. My mind comes up with way too many hypothetical situations. I am thankful for psychiatrists for antipsychotic medications.
moe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hakadah wrote:
I'm really afraid of dying. A lot of times I can't go to sleep because I obsessively think about how I'm going to die.

You're not alone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p6O0VdUGe0
sharon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People.
clovisdied

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing. I refuse to be afraid
Lady Lagomorph

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clovisdied wrote:
nothing. I refuse to be afraid

Wink
stiffanbond

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i was little i was scared of cabbage and clowns, but now i am scared of sprouts with red noses.
stellykazz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-gonna indulge in a little thread necromancy-

im afraid of dogs, drowning, the dark, aliens, rejection, jesus freaks, becoming materialistic, being overweight, being boring.
Gnat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: What scares you? Reply with quote

spiders, maniacs and gays Shocked

http://vkontakte.ru/gnaaat
rubyalison

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm scared of bad things happening. I tend to be an anxious worrier and always feel like I'm on the brink of disaster...

I'm also scared of clowns and insects.

And I can only watch horror movies on Halloween.
alison

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What scares you? Reply with quote

Gnat wrote:

I'm scared of bigotry.
Zinamarina

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What scares you? Reply with quote

alison wrote:
Gnat wrote:

I'm scared of bigotry.

Seconded. Rolling Eyes
Melantha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What scares you? Reply with quote

Gnat wrote:

Just in case you were wondering - this is not a place for homophobes.
Laura Claudia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What scares you? Reply with quote

Gnat wrote:
gays Shocked

What? You're afraid they might bum you?

And to get back on topic, I dislike (I'm not really scared of, I just... don't like) wooden piers. Walking on them, mainly. In fact, I don't like crossing any kind of watery-ocean-y-canal-y kind of thing if what I'm what I'm crossing it on (boats excluded, for obvious reasons) is something I can look through. Smaller bridges, I suppose.
And yeah, I don't like spiders. But when it comes to those motherfuckers, Lulubunny is a fucking HERO!
Little Spy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiders, 4chan (less scared, more creeped out by), the guitar playing clown in the tunnel leading towards a bright light.
RJAndreae

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid of swimming in a lake. I can swim in a pool, the river or the ocean. But not a lake. My cousin drowned in a water filled quarry when I was a kid. My other cousins and I tried to rescue him. But we couldn't. He was down too deep.
Maggots creep me out. But I'm not really afraid of them. But I'm really afraid of dried out desicated things and drunks that I don't know. They're too unpredictable.
But most of all I'm afraid of people who have "The Answer" (ie: neo nazis and fundamental religous types).
RJAndreae

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drunks are too unpredictable not the dried out desicated things. They're pretty predictably creepy.
Jenbe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJAndreae wrote:
I'm afraid of swimming in a lake. I can swim in a pool, the river or the ocean. But not a lake. My cousin drowned in a water filled quarry when I was a kid. My other cousins and I tried to rescue him. But we couldn't. He was down too deep.

Being afraid of swimming in lakes would strike me as odd, as they are safer than oceans or rivers; less current and undertow. But as for your reason, oh my heart goes out to you. My grandfather's cousin drown in a pond when they were young and showing off, and to this day it still causes pain to my grandfather and his brother. I am sorry for your loss.
alison

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the united states postal service actually has one of the safest work records in the country.do the research.

This is still one of my favourite ever posts on this forum. I love everything about it - the tone of voice I read it in, the fury, the pithy 'do the research'. I'm scared Pete will never post again and make me smile quite so much. *nostalgic*
alison

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJAndreae wrote:

Wow, that's harsh. No wonder you're scared of swimming in lakes!
RJAndreae

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, jenbe and Alison. We were kind of showing off, too, by seeing if we could touch the bottom. My cousin decided he would stand on the bottom which was all silt and got stuck. The water was over 30 feet deep. You couldn't keep the air long enough to dig him out. We're lucky not more of us drowned. It's kind of weird to think that I wouldn't be scared of not being able to see the bottom or of quarries. But instead it's lakes. It's kind of irrational. I guess most fears are.
HungarianInDenmark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phone calls with hidden phonenumber freaks the baby jesus out of me for some weird reason.
She's In Parties

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnies and nuclear war.
Loko Lono

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, random one! For some reason I'm scared of tripping over when running. I visualise nasty injuries far too easily, and bones coming through the skin? Uggggh!

Argh me too....
Vivid imagination can be a problem I guess..
But I'm not worried about all injuries so much ..more of hurting my eyes.
I just can't stand anything too close to them...
And the worst part is that I can't help myself and I start to visualize the whole process of injury...

But I'm also afraid of bugs, more disgusted than afraid though....
Clowns
Heights
Being buried alive

Oh yes and being trapped in an elevator alone.
Perdita

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's In Parties wrote:
Carnies and nuclear war.

Isn't carnies one of those words that you totally get told off for on a GB forum? I thought it was to do with travelling communities and is offensive to Roma and such. Or is it me being offensive by imagining this? Someone?

However I am with you on the nuclear war part.

Quote:
Oh, random one! For some reason I'm scared of tripping over when running.

Snap! I have such strong visions of tripping and falling in front of a tube or something that I have to stop and I actually gasp with shock just at the thought.

Mostly, though, I am scared of my deadlines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    avenue-b Forum Index -> blah blah blah All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: