FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile      Log in to check your messages   Log in 

Light reading

View previous topic :: View next topic  
preraphaeliteangel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Light reading Reply with quote

Does anyone have any recommendations for light/humourous reading? I mean things like the Lucia books by E F Benson or the Rumpole books by John Mortimer, stuff like Garrison Keillor, either fiction or non-fiction, ie well written and interesting/funny but not too deep or difficult to read.
alison

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite liked Watching the English (can't remember the author)... it's an anthropology of English social habits and very funny. Oh, and Man & Boy is a nice easy read, but I'm having author block today and can't remember that one either.

Mmm...

Thinking about this topic has made me realise I read a lot of really depressing books. Those are literally the only ones I can think of.
Perdita

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Light reading Reply with quote

preraphaeliteangel wrote:
I mean things like the Lucia books by E F Benson

You are the only person I have ever met in real life or on the internet who knows the Lucia books!!

I am so excited! They're like Jeeves and Wooster, only so much better!

I love Lucia like burning.
onerodeahorse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Light reading Reply with quote

Perdita wrote:
They're like Jeeves and Wooster, only so much better!
There is no such thing! I definitely recommend a healthy dose of P. G. Wodehouse in your life; his Jeeves books are a total joy.

Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis is very funny and easily read, as well as being quite brilliant. I also really like Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City stuff. John Green's Paper Towns is a recent YA novel which is warm, witty and thoughtful whilst being compulsively readable, and I cannot recommend it highly enough.
alison

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Light reading Reply with quote

onerodeahorse wrote:
I also really like Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City stuff.

YES. Good suggestion! I read TOTC when I was about 17 after picking it up in a second-hand bookshop on holiday. I ended up buying and reading the entire series over two weeks.
Perdita

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Light reading Reply with quote

onerodeahorse wrote:
Perdita wrote:
They're like Jeeves and Wooster, only so much better!
There is no such thing!

All that proves is that you haven't read the Lucia books. Razz

But I second Kingsley Amis, and now I think of it David Lodge's Nice Work is good fun, particularly if you're studying/an academic, because he portrays that world really well.
moe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mammy by Brendan O'Carroll, one of the best books I've ever read absolutely hilarious.
She's In Parties

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Light reading Reply with quote

Does anyone have any recommendations for light/humourous reading? I mean things like the Lucia books by E F Benson or the Rumpole books by John Mortimer, stuff like Garrison Keillor, either fiction or non-fiction, ie well written and interesting/funny but not too deep or difficult to read.

ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GUIDE.
preraphaeliteangel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendations - although I've read most of them Sad

Tales of the City was a good suggestion though - it's a long time since I read those so I could give them another go. Nice Work is one of my favourite books - the television adaptation was very good too.

Perdita - I don't know anyone who has read the Lucia books either, except my sister and I introduced them to her. Lucia in London is my favourite, but they're all excellent.
Perdita

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucia in London is my favourite, but they're all excellent.

I think I like Mapp and Lucia best, when Lucia first moves to Tilling with Georgie.
alison

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pamela Des Barres' book 'I'm With the Band' got republished recently. It's a really fun read about a super-groupie who basically did it with everyone ever. She's really sweet and funny despite that and was the inspiration for Penny Lane in Almost Famous. I'd recommend that!

I'm glancing at my bookcase and again failing to find easy reads... Why is everything I own so bleak?!
silvereye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im probably a little of the mark here, but Tom Holt is very good, try "falling sideways"
if u like fantasy at all try terry prachett. he may be a little wordy at times but its always amusing anyway.
preraphaeliteangel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How strange that you have recommended a book by Tom Holt - Tom Holt wrote a couple of Lucia books 'in the style of EF Benson' - Lucia in Wartime and Lucia Triumphant. Perdita - have you read them?
silvereye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i dont think ive ever read one.
Perdita

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's more Lucia?!?!?!?

preraphaeliteangel, you have changed my life with this information.
preraphaeliteangel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perdita wrote:
There's more Lucia?!?!?!?

preraphaeliteangel, you have changed my life with this information.

Yes, but they're out of print. Sad I can lend you my copies if you PM me your address.
Perdita

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="preraphaeliteangel"]
Perdita wrote:
Yes, but they're out of print. Sad I can lend you my copies if you PM me your address.

That's so nice of you, but a) I don't live in the UK and b) I'm a rotten borrower, as friends will testify...

I'll have to hunt them out on the second-hand. Hey, I just found Queen Lucia on project gutenberg here http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/6840, and have persuaded onerodeahorse to give it a try!
alison

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perdita wrote:

That's so nice of you, but a) I don't live in the UK and b) I'm a rotten borrower, as friends will testify...

I WILL TESTIFY! She lost two of my favourite DVDs and a copy of a film I've been dying to see since. She also tried to give one of my books to charity rather than give it back. Perdita is a borrowing black hole! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    avenue-b Forum Index -> blah blah blah All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: